Treatment of any form of alcoholism involves the patient's complete refusal of alcohol. The success of therapy is reduced to zero if the patient does not want a person to live in a state of sobriety. On the contrary, a person's awareness of his own illness is already the first step towards achieving remission. This awareness is the result of very complex work on oneself and requires a lot of time and effort. Therefore, to stop drinking, it is better for a person to consult a doctor.
Reasons to stop drinking alcohol
There are many reasons why a person stops drinking. Among the most significant are:
- the desire to be healthy;
- deterioration of health status and development of chronic diseases;
- more attractive appearance in people who do not have problems with alcohol;
- a sober, sharp and immaculate mind, the desire to properly perceive the surrounding reality;
- high efficiency;
- good attitude at work and impeccable reputation;
- save money (alcohol spending always plays a significant part in an alcoholic's budget);
- high sexuality, no problems with potency in men or menstrual cycle in women;
- the presence of strength and time (after all, the life of a person who is in an alcoholic web is guided by a desire - to drink);
- excellent state of mind, joy;
- healthy environment at home;
- full, bright and healthy life;
- healthy offspring.
The road to a sober life is very long and difficult. However, a person has a chance to get rid of the addiction by following the advice of doctors. Most important to this is having a strong desire to be healed and an iron will.
Can a person stop drinking on their own?
Doctors warn: there are no ex-alcoholics. Alcoholism is an incurable disease. However, the patient always has a chance to achieve a stable remission and stop drinking alcohol. The length of the sobriety period is variable and can range from several months to several decades.
Methods of mental influence on the patient are effective in stopping alcohol consumption. They allow you to inspire the patient with a negative attitude towards alcohol and thus prevent relapse. Subject to a positive result, a strong belief is formed that he can lead a healthy and satisfying life without drinking a single drop of alcohol.
The success of alcoholism treatment depends on a large number of factors. The most significant thing is that the person himself decides whether or not to drink alcohol.
It rarely happens that a person spontaneously stops drinking. A certain factor presses for this: there is an acceptance of the illness itself and then a decision that something needs to be changed in your life.
The main disadvantage of spontaneous remission is indeterminate persistence and spontaneity.
In this case, a person knowingly refuses to drink alcohol. More often this happens if there is a threat to a person's life. Consciously refusing alcohol, a person also raises a number of financial issues and also solves the problem of preserving the family.
Gradually, a person comes to the conclusion that a complete rejection of alcohol will allow him to achieve his goals in life and consolidate success. In remission, he is fully convinced that his choice is the right one and the priority, despite the presence of temptations. Also, each victory over alcohol and the approval of those around you further strengthens a sober stance.
A person does not always strive for a sober lifestyle voluntarily. Many people who are addicted to alcohol don't always understand how harmful their bad habit is. However, circumstances take over. For example, if the principal is at work or the spouse, the child puts a person before a choice, he needs to obey. Otherwise, it will be displayed throughout the life of an alcohol addict.
Forced remission is generally not durable. Also, a person is constantly in a tense state, because he experiences difficulties and inconveniences from such coercion. A breakdown after such a remission usually has very serious consequences.
If a person discovers a marked deterioration in health, they usually stop drinking alcohol. The most common situation is when a patient needs to give up alcohol against the background of delirium tremens.
In addition, alcoholics are afraid of the consequences of a serious illness (eg, a heart attack or stroke). Against the background of negative emotions, they completely lose their attraction to alcohol. Awareness of the harmful effects of alcohol, albeit belatedly, forms a new attitude: survival is a higher priority than alcohol consumption and short-term intoxication.
This variant of alcohol withdrawal is associated with somatogenic remission. When a person finds out what he did while intoxicated, he experiences great shock. In a state of shame for his actions, he decides to stop drinking.
There could be many of these reasons. It is most often:
- drunk driving accidents;
- an attempt on the lives of one's own children;
Such remission is unstable and short-lived. Sometimes a strong trigger works in the opposite direction, and the person starts drinking even more. In a state of alcoholic forgetfulness, suicide is not ruled out.
The nature of this remission could not be fully established. It is typical of people who chronically abuse alcohol. One day they stop drinking and don't discuss this decision.
Doctors suggest that at some point, poisoning with ethyl alcohol and its decomposition products reaches a critical threshold. At that time, the biochemical processes in the brain change and an aversion to alcoholic beverages arises. It is worth mentioning that the taste, the smell of alcohol suddenly becomes unpleasant. Even small doses cause nausea and vomiting.
Post-intoxication remission is relatively stable. However, relapses are not excluded when, in the context of a sober lifestyle, a person's health status visibly improves.
Tips for people who want to stop drinking
Not every person who has abused alcohol can easily endure a sober state. Some have a painful craving for alcohol, a desire to immediately skip a "glass or two. "For those who have firmly and confidently embarked on a sober path, this advice can help.
- You should contact a specialized clinic. Here, specialists will select an individual treatment plan and prescribe effective medications if needed. Psychologists and rehab specialists will help you kick off the binge, cleanse your body, and develop a persistent negative attitude toward ethanol use.
- If you want to stop drinking, that's half the battle. The patient must recognize the presence of the disease. If possible, the problem with alcohol should be discussed with loved ones.
- The patient must break all ties with people with whom he drank and who were tolerant of his addiction.
- Throw away all alcoholic beverages at home. This will make it much easier to avoid temptation. If there is a calm reaction to people who drink alcohol, this is already a success.
- You need to be prepared for the fact that withdrawal symptoms will develop during alcohol refusal. At the same time, various psychophysiological disorders will be plagued. The urge to take them out can be very strong. At this time, it is important not to succumb to weakness. Dealing with withdrawal symptoms on your own is very difficult, so you should trust the experts.
- You should read the literature on various aspects of alcoholism. It is important to avoid sources of dubious origin. Any questions can be discussed with the doctor.
- The daily routine should include different types of physical activity. It is important to eat well and completely, as well as rest. Ideally, learn to avoid stress, or at least not react to it.
- Some can be helped by moving around, communicating with other people.
- An interesting hobby will improve the emotional background. Some people are helped by a change of profession, volunteering and outdoor activities.
- At meetings, holidays, it is necessary to look for an alternative to alcoholic beverages, which, unfortunately, have become traditional. Even a cocktail can get in the way of all previous efforts.
There is no single method to stop drinking. Every alcohol addict should look for the most suitable option. To avoid relapses and get a positive effect, it is important to contact specialists.