If a loved one is an alcoholic, this is a serious problem for the whole family. The situation is complicated by the fact that some people, even going on regular binges, do not consider themselves sick. How to help a person suffering from alcoholism. It is possible to cure a relative who drinks at home. And most importantly, how to deal with the fact that the drunk has denied alcohol addiction.
How to help an alcoholic stop drinking
First, the patient must be aware that the disease exists, it must be treated. You have to want to get rid of drunkenness. Motivation is the main factor in this situation. Even the presence of a large number of means, opportunities, good conditions will not lead to the desired result if there is no objective and correct attitude.
Here are some basic steps you can take to help reduce alcohol cravings:
- Illness acceptance. As soon as the alcoholic stops denying the existence of the addiction, it will be easier for him to undergo treatment, he will quickly get rid of the disease.
- Suppression of the desire to drink, control. We need to find an alternative to drinking. As soon as the thought of having another drink of alcohol arises, you need to switch to some kind of action (running, reading, walking, etc. ).
- Contrast shower 2-3 per day. This will help strengthen blood vessels, reduce cravings for alcohol.
- Drink plenty of water (at least 10 glasses of water a day).
- Renunciation of the old life. It is necessary to avoid people, places associated with an alcoholic past.
As soon as the patient starts drinking less alcohol, he needs to undergo a full body diagnosis. After that, you can move on to restorative activities (vitamin therapy, light exercise, walking, etc. ).
How to help a person who drinks to stop
There is no universal way to help. All alcoholics are different, and everyone's environment will be different too. But there are still some ways to help fight addiction.
You need to start the treatment with a dropper that purifies the blood. You can call a doctor who will carry out all the necessary manipulations. Then the entire course of treatment is planned. The main thing is that the patient wants to be treated. Then a therapy regimen is constructed. Or you will need to change your approach to the problem if you don't want to get rid of the addiction. At any stage, the patient will need help from loved ones, especially if they are not in the mood for treatment.
Top recommendations for families of alcoholics:
- Transfer a drink on self-service. Sooner or later he will have to deal with cooking, washing, cleaning.
- Spend free time on hobbies, forgetting about exploits for the sake of a loved one.
- Don't give in on alcohol issues, don't give in to an alcoholic's provocations. He must get used to the new family situation.
- You are not responsible for the actions of a relative who drinks. He must resolve all claims, charges, disputes on his own.
You can help only those who are waiting for it, open to change. You don't have to dedicate your whole life to saving an alcoholic.
At home, only the initial stage of alcoholism can be cured. Other stages of the disease involve severe mental and physical abnormalities that require medical intervention.
It is important to follow the rules of treatment at home:
- Make your own decision to give up bad habits. Compulsory therapy is ineffective.
- Observe complete peace, without stress that causes breakdowns.
- Avoid as much as possible any reminders of a previous life (drinking friends, places to drink alcohol).
- Completely give up alcohol.
- Unite with loved ones against a common problem.
- Take the medication prescribed by your doctor.
- Strengthen the therapeutic effect of folk remedies.
Medicines are prescribed only by a doctor. Self-medication can only worsen the disease. And decoctions, infusions according to alternative medicine recipes will increase the positive effect, relieve the symptoms of the disease. They are most effective for intoxication with alcohol breakdown products.
Unfortunately, according to statistics, it is not always possible to help an alcoholic with treatment at home. But there are still many positive results. The main thing is not to give up, follow all the instructions, take steps in the right direction.
Disadvantages of home treatment:
- high probability of failure;
- lack of experience in treatment, professional psychological support;
- passivity, patient apathy, loss of motivation during long-term therapy.
To avoid negative consequences, serious complications, it is necessary to overcome shame, embarrassment, prejudice and other obstacles and still seek help from a specialist. And already he will determine the severity of the disease, if necessary, recommend hospital treatment or approve rehabilitation at home.
Treatment at the hospital is anonymous. Therefore, you should not hide from problems, be ashamed. It is better to immediately seek help from specialists: a narcologist, a psychiatrist, a psychotherapist, a family psychologist.
Of particular importance is the correct attitude towards treatment. Alcoholism is a chronic disease that will not go away completely. Only willpower, the desire to change life, will help a person to stay in remission for a long time, without returning to exacerbations of the disease.
Benefits of hospital treatment:
- isolation from the impact of negative external factors;
- lack of access to alcoholic beverages;
- the possibility of a complete diagnosis;
- control over the treatment process, if necessary, timely changes;
- suitable conditions, unlimited possibilities for complex therapy.
Severe cases of the disease are treated only in a hospital.
In a medical institution, it is easier and faster to break down after giving up alcohol. The duration of treatment is at least 7 days.
- Toxin removal. The patient receives a dropper, undergoes regular examinations and performs diagnostic measures.
- Based on the diagnostic results, the narcologist builds a treatment program, involving the necessary specialists in the process.
- Drug treatment, consultations with specialists with involvement of the patient's family members.
- Additional follow-up of the patient after the course of treatment.
The success of therapy rests on a set of measures. Anonymous hospital is the best place for its implementation.
How to help a person stop drinking if they don't want to
These patients themselves will never admit that they are experiencing difficulties and, moreover, will not agree that they are dependent on alcohol. For treatment, such denial is a major barrier, an obstacle to recovery. If an alcoholic doesn't want to be treated, not even the most experienced professionals will help him. But even in this situation, there are ways to help the patient stop drinking:
|It works only in the early stage of disease development. You need to talk to the person directly, explain what their behavior is like outside (you can record a video, bring witnesses to a meeting). Evidence effectively affects the human psyche, he thinks about his actions. A good argument is a reminder of what a hangover feels like. You can use the example of a downgraded local alcoholic to show what the future can hold if you don't stop drinking. As soon as an alcohol lover agrees to undergo treatment, you need to support him, to consolidate the positive effect.
|jar of Hearts
|An alcoholic is in a difficult situation because of alcohol. As he tries to solve it, he is rethinking his way of life. This situation is created by relatives, acquaintances. Expensive, cruel, but effective way. For example, in one company, pour sleeping pills into alcohol, take the victim to the forest, take money, documents. Or while the drunk is distracted with his friends, take the child away from him.
|Medicines, folk remedies
|If persuasion does not help, you can add medicines, herbal infusions to food, drink. The action of these drugs is based on the emergence of aversion to alcohol. In combination with alcohol, these additives cause nausea, vomiting, a change in the taste of alcohol, and a severe hangover the next day. You can use these drugs only after consulting a doctor.
|Appeal to wizards, sorcerers, healers
|At the heart of the treatment of representatives of alternative medicine are herbal infusions, spells, rituals, conspiracies. This method should be used with caution as there are a lot of charlatans out there. Furthermore, this treatment is always expensive and often ineffective.
|The threats can be different: losing or not finding a job, not returning home, not repaying loans. Not the most successful method according to psychologists. It can have the opposite effect. To scare a drinking person with something, you need to know them well.
How to convince an alcoholic to undergo treatment? Main recommendations:
- Avoid conflict situations, critical of the dependent person.
- Talk about your emotions caused by the situation, but don't blame.
- Help find interesting alternative activities.
- Explain that authority within the inner circle has been lost.
- Motivate the patient with responsibility, love for life.
- Explain the importance of seeking professional help.
Faith in the power of your words, the success of actions will help to achieve a positive result.