Alcoholics make promises to stop drinking almost every day. Unfortunately, most relatives believe that it is impossible to deal with the disease on their own. So, how to stop drinking alcohol on your own at home, and is it really possible to do so?
Psychology of an Alcoholic: What Stops You From Quitting Drinking?
Without psychological support, it is very difficult to stop drinking on your own, not only because of the strong chemical bond, but also because of a certain type of alcoholic thinking. The following psychological aspects prevent the drinker from dealing with addiction:
- inability to express love. Under the influence of alcohol, a person who drinks has a sense of lightness in his soul, as he begins to love not only those around him, but also himself. Self-respect awakens and criticality disappears. After the alcohol wears off, negative emotions, guilt, and pity return, which don't go away until a new dose is taken;
- saturation with negative emotions. Mental pain is an alcoholic's most frequent companion. Sometimes this state can be suppressed with just the help of alcohol. Also, the more an alcoholic drinks, the more painful the attacks of mental pain, and the more alcohol is needed to suppress it;
- presence of complexes. In this case, we are talking about complexes that form throughout life, for example, when parents inspire a child that he will not be successful or that he is worse than other children. Alcohol allows you to "let go" of complexes for a while, a person begins to feel strong, beautiful, successful;
- lack of ability to deal with difficulties. If throughout life decisions have been made constantly for a person, when he finds himself in a difficult situation, he finds himself in an environment for which he is not completely ready. In addition, people often get drunk on whom, on the contrary, a lot of responsibility has been entrusted.
Is it possible to stop drinking at home?
According to the famous phrase - nothing is impossible in the world! It is possible to stop drinking at home, but according to statistics given by psychotherapists, only 2-5% of alcoholics can. What to do to be among those "lucky ones" who managed to change their lives?
First, you can only stop if you have the support of family and friends. At the same time, it must be understood that any pressure on the alcoholic at the time when he is trying to recover can throw the whole process behind him.
Second, it is extremely important to change the environment. Drinking companions are unlikely to be called best friends. They are just people you know who, by the will of fate, ended up with an addict in the same boat, but no more.
The duration of the compulsion is another criterion that allows answering the question. If the binge lasted from 1 to 1. 5 weeks, it is possible to deal with the problem on your own, however, with longer interruptions in the early stages of recovery, you cannot do without the help of a psychotherapist.
General tactics for avoiding alcohol
Giving up alcohol requires a complete overhaul of lifestyle and thinking. In order for this period to pass as comfortably and without complications as possible, experts recommend adhering to special tactics. The main activities in this include:
- disease recognition. There is no need to deny the problem, for that you can go in the mirror and honestly admit to yourself that you have an illness. This is an important condition for not drinking;
- gaining the ability to control the sensation of drinking. When an unbearable craving seems to take a hit of alcohol, you can start saying the following phrase aloud - "I won't drink anymore". In addition, the replacement method is very effective, for example, you can replace drinking with running or reading: as soon as you feel like drinking, grab an interesting book or go for a run;
- start taking contrast baths. This procedure can be repeated 2-3 times a day. Thus, you will strengthen the vascular system, in addition to reducing the desire to drink;
- drink plenty of fluids and avoid spicy foods. It is important to drink at least 10 glasses of pure water a day;
- avoid old companies. This rule applies not only to businesses, but also to places where you used to hang out. The best thing is to change routes and try not to pass by the bars.
Once you learn to bypass drinking establishments and the craving for alcohol has subsided, you can proceed to general body restoration. To do this, you can pass a comprehensive exam, take multivitamins, or join a gym. Remember that the atmosphere around you should be positive: walk more, watch comedies and visit cultural places.
Folk remedies that cause alcohol aversion
Treatment with folk remedies is not a panacea. Before using this or that recipe, you should consult a specialist. Also, in no case should the dosage be exceeded, since several folk remedies for alcoholism are prepared on the basis of poisonous plants.
Decoction and Puppeteer's Hull
For a decoction, you need to take the roots of the puppeteer and the hull. Crushed raw materials are mixed and take a teaspoon (no more) of the roots, which are poured with a glass of boiling water. The drug must be infused for an hour, after which it must be filtered. To cause persistent heartbreak in an alcoholic, it takes 10 to 15 drops of infusion per bottle of vodka. The product itself should be stored in a cool, dark place. After the addict drinks infused vodka, he will experience severe vomiting, general weakness and dizziness. After some time, the patient will develop an aversion to alcohol and will be able to not drink alcohol.
St. John's Wort Decoction
To prepare a decoction, 4 tablespoons of herbs are poured into ½ liter of boiling water. After that, the broth is placed in a water bath and heated for about 20-30 minutes. When the broth has cooled a little, it must be filtered and removed in a cold place. It is necessary to drink the remedy according to a strict schedule - 2 times a day before meals for a month. Typically, the drug is passed on as a liver remedy or another drug. After a month of taking the alcoholic, a feeling of alcohol intolerance will really develop.
Alcoholism Mushroom Dung Beetles
To do this, mushrooms are collected, washed well and fried. They can be mixed with potatoes or added to any other dish and served to an alcoholic. The substances contained in mushrooms interact with alcohol, while the consequences for the body are manifested in the form of poisoning. You can use mushrooms for treatment until the alcoholic stops drinking. With this tool, you can stop drinking at home in 1-1. 5 months.
Our grandmothers also used this tool. To cause a persistent aversion to alcohol, you need to catch two raspberry bugs (small gray bugs with an unpleasant odor). After that, the insects are crushed and thrown into a bottle of vodka, after which the container is removed for 2-3 days in a dark, warm place. After the time, the alcohol is filtered and removed to its usual location. A few glasses of this tincture will not cause the most pleasant sensations in an alcoholic.
root of love
The root infusion is prepared as follows - 3 tablespoons of raw materials are poured into a glass of vodka and cleaned in a dark place for 2 weeks. During the infusion period, it is important to shake the mixture once a day. After two weeks, the product is filtered and divided into two parts. The first portion is given to the alcoholic on the first day and the second portion on the next. The root causes severe intoxication, stomach pain and diarrhea, against which an aversion to alcohol develops.
Drug treatment of alcohol dependence
The treatment of alcoholism is carried out both by psychotherapeutic methods, which make it possible to discover the causes of addiction, and by medication. Below are the most effective drugs that reduce alcohol cravings:
- A cyanamide-based drug that reduces cravings for alcohol, tasteless and odorless, due to which it can be easily added to any beverage or product. The course of treatment is about 14 days, and the first changes will be noticeable after the first dose;
- A homeopathic remedy (antibodies to the brain-specific protein S-100) that reduces cravings for alcohol and has virtually no side effects. However, to obtain the result, a rather long treatment is required. This is the best remedy if there is no willpower;
- An acetaldehyde dehydrogenase enzyme inhibitor is a tablet that slows down the process of decomposition of alcohol, due to which the toxic components of alcohol are carried in the bloodstream throughout the body and cause severe poisoning. At the same time, the alcoholic will be plagued by headaches, fever, diarrhea, joint pain, etc.
Any medication that suppresses the urge to drink should only be prescribed by a doctor.
Coding is another way to treat alcoholism. Removal of alcohol addiction can occur in the following ways:
- hypnotic effect. The essence of this method lies in a very powerful psychological and hypnotic effect on the psyche and way of thinking of an alcoholic;
- drug therapy. This method works in two directions at once. The influence is carried out not only on the patient's psyche, but also on the general state of the body through special preparations.
In addition, there are many alternative methods that influence a person's perception of alcohol and allow a man or woman not to drink alcohol.
Literature to help you stop drinking
The role of literature in the treatment of alcoholism is difficult to overestimate. The right books are the easiest way to start getting rid of alcoholism. In addition, they allow a person to look at the problem from a different angle and provide an opportunity to give up alcohol on their own.
There is a lot of good literature on this subject on the Internet.
How to organize your time after quitting alcohol?
The void that forms in an alcoholic's soul after he refuses alcohol can make him drink again. In order for this not to happen, it is necessary to properly organize your leisure time. The most effective ways in this situation are:
- sports. You can start going to the gym, swimming pool or yoga classes;
- communicate with people who find themselves in a similar situation. Alcoholics Anonymous clubs are available in almost every city, otherwise these people can be found on the Internet in specialized forums;
- self education. For self-fulfillment and self-esteem, you can go to college and learn a profession that you really enjoy. Also, giving up alcohol is the best time to turn your desires into reality. If you've always dreamed of mastering music notation, now is the time to do it.
It is important to understand that you can finally stop drinking only after a change in lifestyle and worldview. In other words, you must become a new person. In order not to think about what to do when you stop drinking, it's best to think of a plan of action in advance.
Conclusion and Conclusion
The treatment of alcoholism is a long and complex process in which all relatives and friends of the patient must participate. It is important to give the patient the right attitude and choose really effective methods. Also, do not forget about professional psychotherapeutic assistance. A therapist will tell you how to stop drinking alcohol on your own at home.