Alcoholism is a physical and psychological dependence, characterized by memory deficits, behavioral problems, internal organ pathologies resulting from the systematic use of alcohol. Therefore, many people are interested in how to stop drinking alcohol on their own. In such a situation, you will need to completely change your lifestyle.
reasons for addiction
Before you stop drinking on your own, you need to determine the reasons for the bad habit. Key factors include the following:
Biochemical processes can be the cause of the problems. Not everyone is addicted to alcohol. To a greater extent, people with mental disorders or traumatic brain damage are susceptible to this. Sometimes a genetic predisposition is the cause of the problem.
The evidence that a person has developed alcohol dependence is the following alarming symptoms:
- Gradual increase in the number of holidays celebrated with the use of alcohol. If once a person was hoping for a birthday or New Year, they are now specifically looking for an excuse to drink alcohol.
- Changing your social circle. If before a person chose friends for common interests, then, with the advent of alcohol addiction, he was looking for friends to drink.
- Aggravation of negative characteristics. Alcoholics have trouble communicating with colleagues, friends, relatives. These people are often nervous, aggressive, and irritable. Mood only improves after drinking alcohol.
- Loss of control over alcohol volume. If before it was easy for a person to stop, now there are difficulties with it.
- Health disorders. Excessive alcohol consumption leads to very sad consequences. A person has pain on the right side, sleep disturbances, erectile problems, hand tremors.
Popular Myths About Alcohol
To stop drinking at home, you need to recognize the addiction. However, many people ignore the presence of problems. There are several common myths about alcoholic beverages:
- The desire to drink alcohol is always justified by the presence of some kind of holiday. However, you can celebrate without alcohol.
- Many people believe that alcohol can help relieve shyness. However, this is just self-hypnosis. The psychological barrier can only be removed for a short period of time. This is followed by a phase of inappropriate behavior, which can cause a feeling of shame.
- Some people believe that drinking can help them cope with stress or solve personal problems. This too is nothing more than a myth.
- Alcoholism often starts with drinking 50 g of alcohol a day. However, doctors today question even the benefits of red wine. Daily intake of alcohol in the body has irreversible consequences for the brain and liver.
- Many alcoholics drink because they are helpless because they believe they can't do anything about it. This is another common misconception.
In 89% of cases they die from alcohol while sleeping! Also, in most cases, these are not a few drunk alcoholics, but people who drink "moderately" and who drink not only strong drinks but also low alcohol ones. To understand, as many people die from alcohol as from traffic accidents. A person who drinks has virtually no chance of living to old age and dying a natural death!
The key to successful therapy
How to stop drinking alcohol at home? This is a difficult task, but it is perfectly possible to be done. To do this, you must meet certain conditions:
To answer the question about how to get rid of alcohol addiction on your own, you need to follow these recommendations:
Find ways to deal with stress. Alcohol problems often occur in people who suffer from chronic fatigue and try to calm their nerves with alcohol. To deal with addiction, you need to find a source of pleasure - for that you can be like massage, yoga or boxing.