If you want to say goodbye to an addiction for good and are trying to figure out how to stop drinking, then it's time to understand and discover the causes of your illness called alcoholism. For there is already a consequence - a constant desire to get drunk with strong or low-alcohol drinks. It remains to find the cause and eliminate it.
Important:it is wrong to think that alcoholism is inherent in human nature. This is a mistake. After all, if the desire to drink alcohol were in everyone, then on Earth there wouldn't be a single healthy representative of our salary. But at the same time, many live without any psychic stimulants and some have strong addictions. What are the reasons, we will understand below.
Important Points When Stopping Drinking On Your Own
If you're trying to figure out how to stop drinking on your own, you first need to understand several important truths that will help you overcome alcoholism and break free from addiction:
- You shouldn't be afraid of life without alcohol. Most of the time, an alcoholic is frightened not so much by a physical craving for alcohol and alcoholic beverages as by a change in the usual way of life. It is likely that a person who is drinking but quitting the addiction simply cannot imagine life without alcohol. In other words, for him they will be empty and meaningless nights. And what can we say about vacations, nature hikes, meeting friends, etc. How can you not drink here, you will think. In that case, you need to let go of all fears and understand that every day, minute and second of your life can be successfully filled with bright colors without the use of psychostimulants. And that's very easy to do.
- You will have to work hard to learn how to enjoy life without alcohol. It's a lot of work, but giving up alcohol for a year, two, and a lifetime is worth it.
- It's also worth remembering that if you firmly say to yourself "I don't want to drink anymore" and are trying to save yourself, you will have to put up with whatever psychological and physical discomfort the world around you may present. Remember that a person who is not addicted to alcohol or drugs can more easily and stoically cope with all of life's problems.
Important:be prepared for the fact that life without alcohol will not immediately return to normal. It may take a month or two for full recovery from alcoholism to manifest. After all, the body needs time to rebuild itself. And the psyche will visibly recover and direct you on the path to new discoveries and healthy acquaintances.
A person suffering from alcoholism has a more pampered and capricious psyche that requires constant protection in the form of alcohol. Be prepared for the fact that you will have to get out of life's problems alone. Otherwise everything will collapse and it will be harder to get rid of alcoholism.
- Prepare for the fact that, at first, you will want to return to a normal state of comfort under the influence of the drink. They say all fears and problems go away if you drink too much. Don't be fooled. It's just a habit that requires trivial physical satisfaction.
- Also, if you're trying to find an answer to the question of how to stop drinking alcohol on your own, stop succumbing to self-deception. We're talking about inspiration, under the influence of which you make the next decision "I'm not going to use it and I don't feel like it anymore. "As a rule, such impulses and promises come after another violent drunkenness, in which the patient "distincts" greatly. As a result, the shame of the hangover turns into the desire to live a new life. But such a fuse will only last a few days, and then the promised one will be forgotten and blown out under the influence of a drink. So don't be fooled. Get ready for a tough fight. Remember that giving up alcohol is difficult, but it's worth it.
Removing the Causes of Alcohol Addiction
To get rid of alcohol dependence and finally be able to boldly say "I don't drink anything", it is necessary to identify the causes of the disease. In the material, we will consider in detail those that most often form the desire to carry on the chest. And then we'll consider the important points that are designed to help addicted people get rid of alcoholism so they never drink again.
learning to relax sober
The most common cause of addiction is the inability to relax. A hard day at work, family quarrels, sadness in the family, resentment and other problems in life cause some discomfort and strain the psyche. And here alcohol acts as a lifesaver. But think about whether it's just as important to relieve tension with strong drinks. After all, you can relax with a massage. Communication with loved ones contributes to relaxation and stress relief. You can also relax and relieve stress through sports or listening to your favorite music. By the way, music therapy is a great way to help you relax in any situation and understand how to get rid of alcohol addiction. The main thing is to find your direction.
Important:relaxation should be understood not as habitual drunkenness, but calm of mind and sobriety of thought, self-sufficiency and self-confidence and self-confidence. Remember that relaxing with alcohol is wrong. This tactic is the path of least resistance chosen by the weak.
Addendum:In order to master the science of healthy relaxation, you can read literature on relaxation techniques and meditation methods. The easiest way to relax healthily is through sports. Active running or brisk walking.
Recommendation:if you are pragmatic and need a clear action plan, you can use an easy way to help yourself. Write down your goals on paper and celebrate your achievement. These addiction-killing techniques are ideal for anyone who can't imagine their life without planning. You can use a step-by-step guide to the relaxation technique. Mastering each item will significantly elevate you in your own eyes in the struggle for sobriety.
Sports on the road to recovery
Lack of sufficient physical activity is also one of the indirect causes of alcoholism. As you know, it was work that made man come out of the monkey. That is, loads from the physical plane. And without that person it simply degrades. Looks like a worthless alien on this planet. Except for sports and physical activity, you won't want to drink. So if you've adopted the "want to stop drinking" mentality and want to figure out how not to fall apart, get your life back on the sport. Start small. Whether walking early in the morning or in the evening at sunset. Go to the park and watch people playing sports. They are in shape, so they are confident. They are tired, but they always smile. Athletes are not in a bad mood, as sports stimulate the production of the endorphin hormone. And he is the much coveted happiness hormone that helps save you from stitches and loneliness.
Important:if you've been drinking heavily and for a long time, you shouldn't break records right away. Therefore, you can seriously stress the body. Start a little by listening to your body.
far from boredom
Boredom is another common cause of alcoholism. The inability to occupy their free time often pushes people down the path of alcoholism. And if you don't know how to get rid of drunkenness exactly on that basis, you'll have to study yourself and look for a new hobby for yourself. It will not be easy. Most of the time, a person doesn't even realize what he's interested in. What I would like to do. Here it is worth remembering what fascinated me at school. What attracted me most in childhood. Maybe they were stars or planes united. An interesting hobby that takes over your life will quickly end your drinking habit. And very soon you will be able to say to yourself "I don't drink. I stopped drinking forever" and became an interesting person with a personal passion.
Addendum:if you're a football fan, let this hobby become a game, not sitting in a bar having a beer with friends. Find a backyard soccer team that plays a few times a week and join them.
Insecurity and embarrassment
These feelings are also the cause of alcohol addiction. Insecure people often feel abandoned, in some cases unrecognized. It is worth understanding here that one person cannot be liked by everyone. We are unique the way we are. And for each of us there will definitely be a friend and admirer. It is quite possible that somewhere close by there is a person who loves you precisely for your sweet restraint and silence. If you are having difficulty with self-confidence, you can go to a psychologist who will help you understand yourself.
internal tension and nervousness
Constant feelings of restlessness, nervousness, and internal tension also often lead to drinking. What to do in this case? How to give up alcohol on your own? It should be understood here that constant internal tension works on the principle of a compressed spring. Sooner or later, it will work on opening and a malfunction will occur. Therefore, you need to look for ways to remove internal clutter. At the same time, you must not confuse agitation and tension with excessive energy. Probably something is bothering you unconsciously. Maybe it's fear of the future, possible financial ruin, fear of losing a loved one. A professional psychologist will help you understand the causes of nervousness in more detail. On your own, you can learn relaxation techniques and methods in a healthy way.
Important to remember
Once you understand all the possible causes of alcoholism and listen to yourself, you will definitely understand what yours is and start working to correct the situation. Remember that if you can't find a reason, attempts to stop drinking will be in vain. Sooner or later, you will still return to your favorite way of neutralizing fear, boredom, doubt, or inner tension. Perhaps one addiction is simply replaced by another, which is even worse. Know that understanding the cause of alcoholism is an important path to recovery and quitting alcohol forever. As a result, sobriety will become your way of life and thoughts.
Recommendation:during the recovery period, don't think about the need to protect yourself from people who drink. This is not absolutely necessary or allowed only in the most acute period of recovery. Otherwise, the path to quitting alcohol is built on a complete change in lifestyle and thinking, that is, a life without alcohol. After all, you learn to relax and rest sober in any case and in any situation and in any company. Remember that you are a strong, healthy person.